Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Hair Accessories Catch-All

This is one of the first DIY ideas that I saw on Pinterest.  My housemate Rachel has eaten plenty of oatmeal so that I could accomplish this project. (I don't like oatmeal. Too slimy, blech.)  It also required a trip to Unique Thrift store here in Louisville.  (And if you know Louisville thrift stores you know that you will make any excuse to make a trip to Unique!)

Anyway...

This project was really easy and took no time at all.  You could accomplish it in 30 minutes if your paint dries fast enough.  I also apologize in advance for my crappy pictures.  I am using the camera on my phone.

What you need:

- An oatmeal canister
- A base
- paint
- paint brush
- super glue

See I told you it was easy.


Here is what I started with:
An oatmeal canister 

A base (found at a local thrift store)

Paint and a brush (ignore the spray paint, that is for another project)


Then, I simply painted the oatmeal canister black.  The paint dried really quickly so it didn't take long at all.  I did about 3 coats to cover it well but like I said, it was quick, it dried in about 15 minutes.


Next, I put the oatmeal canister on top of the base and made sure it was sitting even on the base.  Once I got it where I liked it I drew (with a pencil) around the circumference of the oatmeal canister on the base.  This way I knew where to put my super glue and knew the oatmeal canister would sit even.  After that, I put the super glue all along the ring I drew on the base and attached the oatmeal canister.  I held the canister on the base for about a minute and it was stuck.  I let it sit for about 5 minutes to make sure the oatmeal canister was stuck well.  Finally, I put all my headbands on it and filled the inside with other hair accessories and brushes.


Ta da!  A cheap and easy way to store all your hair accessories.  I may even put my hairs products in it.

Here is the blog I was inspired by: http://makeitmyown.blogspot.com/2011/11/day-18-im-thankful-with-lyssa-beth.html.  She does it a little bit different but both serve the same purpose.

I think the only thing I paid for was the base from a local thrift store so this is an under $5 project total.  If you had to buy everything I would imagine around $15 but most of these things can be found around the house.  It was easy and solved the organization problem instantly and I LOVE organization!

Go create!

Kiana

No comments:

Post a Comment