Wednesday, February 15, 2012

LOVEly Cupcakes

I had a party 2 days before Valentine's, and I just couldn't pass up doing a dessert with a cute little heart on it.  So I made chocolate cupcakes with a heart embellishment.

Here's what you will need:
  • A box of cake mix - I used milk chocolate (will make 24 cupcakes)
  • 1 can of icing - I used vanilla
  • Cupcake liners
  • Fun sprinkles (optional)
  • Red Candy Melts - I got mine at Hobby Lobby. (You could also use white chocolate bark and add a little red food coloring).
  • Heart mold (you could also draw out hearts if you don't have a mold).
  • Ziploc bag



1)  Cupcakes
  • Make the cupcakes.
  • Allow them plenty of time to cool.  I let mine sit overnight.
  • Put your icing in a Ziploc bag and then snip off a small piece of one corner.  This makes it easier to ice the cupcakes and gives them a more put together look.  (If the hole in your bag is too small, cut it a little larger).  Go in a circle motion, covering the top of each cupcake with icing.


2) Hearts

  • Melt the red candy melts.  I melted mine in batches because I only had one thing to make heart molds.
  • Make sure not to overheat the red candy.  It will burn and become unusable.





  • Pour the red candy into the heart molds. 


  • Put them in the freezer for quick setting.  It will only take about 5 minutes for them to get hard.


  • Take them out of the mold.  If they have a hard time coming out, tap the tops with a spoon.






  • 

    Once the cupcakes are iced, add a few sprinkles to the top, then top with a heart.  Voila!  Fun & beautiful cupcakes!  These heart cupcakes cost me about $8 to do 24 of them.



    You could easily adapt this recipe to another holiday.  This is where I got the idea:
    As you can see, I adapted this idea because I wanted to do a red heart on the top of my cupcake. 

    Hope this will bring you inspiration for other fun cupcakes!

    -Katie

    No comments:

    Post a Comment